Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Friday August 29 Trip Plans

Mario's Road in the mountains above Erongaricuaro is the destination for this walk.

We'll meet in front of the Policia Federal (on the street behind the Pemex) in Patzcuaro at 9:00 AM and head to Zarzamora. If anyone in Eronga is planning to join us and needs a ride, let me know. If you're coming around the north end of the lake, let me know and I'll figure out a place to rendezvous in Eronga. Antep9@aol.com

See previous blurb for photos and information.

This is an easy uphill walk through a forest. My last visit to the area was a hike - this time we'll look for birds. Count on 2-3 hours in the woods.

We'll be on the lookout for this species: Pygmy nuthatch (Sitta pygmaea)

Afterwards those interested and hungry may join me for lunch at the pizza-baguette-torta restaurant on Eronga's square. The proprietors are Cristal and Mariano. She's one of the daughters of the owner of Campestre Aleman restaurant. The menu has lots to offer, the food is delicious and reasonably priced, and service is friendly and prompt.

2 comments:

Bugman said...

Is there a reason why your fieldtrips start so late? I'd wager that most of the really "good" birds or at least the more elusive ones, are long gone by the time you're in the field. That's pretty much a "universal" experience among birders. . . .

Georgia Conti said...

Good question, Bugman. The time of departure depends on how far we are going, how far people will be coming from (there are some folks who make a 3 hour drive from San Miguel de Allende and others who come from Morelia, a hour away), and who has prompted me to offer a trip.

Since I started offering these free and open to the public field trips, most of the folks are beginning birders and these trips are designed with them in mind. Even with a "late" start, we see lots of birds.

When serious birders have arranged for me to take them birding, we are definitely out the door before dawn.

Keep in mind, I don't post all my bird trips on this blog. I am a BirdingPal, and I lead lots of private trips.

Does this answer your question?