Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hummingbird Study

Looking at the feeders (above and below)


Glen having a closer look


I have two hummingbird feeders. At any given time, there are at least two dozen hummers buzzing around. Because of the volume, I fill my feeders at least threet times a day.


Today's outing of the Patzcuaro Birding Club was a study of hummingbirds, a request made by several individuals who have trouble telling one hummer from another. Joining me were: Tracy and Glen (of La Jacaranda), Diana (I know her as yellowhibiscus), and Bruce (I sure wish I had an oak tree like he had in San Antonio).


We were entertained by seven (7) species:

Green violet-ear
Broad-billed
White-eared
Violet-crowned (yes!! Seeing this species is not an every day occurrence)
Berylline
Blue-throated
Magnificent


I'll be offering this event again, because the folks who asked me to do this were out of town. If you're in Patzcuaro and what to see hummers, let me know.

No comments: